UPDATED
Hymns, hymns, hymns ad nauseum. A steady diet of hymns and Haugen mass parts. I'll be so glad when the new translation comes out; there will be a bonfire at my house, and we will ceremonially burn the Haugen stuff. I'll burn "Gather Us In", too. Maybe even multiple copies of it.
If we'd sing the Latin ordinaries, we wouldn't have to worry about the translation crapola. I'm just sayin'.
I should point out that I'm definitely in favor of a new translation that is more faithful to the Latin, which IS the official language of the Roman Rite.
Processional: At the Name of Jesus (BB 749)
Offertory: If I can get enough people at choir practice, we'll do something really cool.
Communion: O Jesus, How Our Spirits Sing (BB 368)
Recessional: Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise (BB 574)
17 comments:
YES! A ceremonial bonfire! I'll bring the Holy Flamethrower.
:D
A flamethrower would be excellent. An alternative would be a gasoline tanker + 1 match.
Sounds like an occasion for BARBEQUE! Except that the "music" may contaminate the food.
Heresy Hunter, I like your idea. I believe the result (though on a wee bit larger scale) has been seen in Stephen King's "The Stand", when Trashcan Man blows up the refinery.
Celestine, I think the holy flamethrower would be delightful :), If the new stuff gets contaminated by a composer that sucks that much again I might need to borrow that flamethrower, it could prove useful to me. Mary i was unaware that you were a Stephen King Fan? lol anyways the music I write for the new translations may be pretty bad but I promise it will be a billion times better than that nonsense!
Perhaps we could just shoot them full of holes using the Holy Shotgun used in Constantine. Just a thought...
http://images.comicbookresources.com/solicits/dc012005/big/ConstantineShotgunMovieProp.jpg
Mr. RCS,
I've already seen some music written by a well-known composer using the new translation, and I was unimpressed. I think the bar is set pretty low right now. Just make your accompaniments simple enough, and keep each vocal part within an octave (but not within a fifth!) and you'll be fine, IMO.
Mr. PL.PSA,
That is a creepy picture. I've seen you with a better shotgun.
And Mr. RCS, I USED to like Stephen King until I found out he's an ass.
Except for the chastity-challenged main characters, I liked "The Stand" a lot. Waited excitedly for "It" to come out, which I bought in hardback, and thought it sucked. That was the last book of his that I read, and I believe I threw it away.
But Madame Blogmistress! All writers inevitably make royal-pains-in-the-you-know-what of themselves. It's a simple fact of life ;)
Or at least, that's true for most fiction writers of the past few decades. I have yet to find a book I genuinely loved from the past fifty years that is fiction--oh, there are good books that I liked, but one that was really captivating and spoke to my (knowledgeably a bit unusual) sensibilities? Nada.
Here my brain had failed me; I am so unlike the rest of my age/gender group that whenever I venture into what is marketed towards the aforementioned group I run away screaming bloody murder.
Why are all the really, really good writers dead?
ooo... edits in .. RED.
It's almost like a Latin Missal. Except.. not quite.
Celestine you said: "Why are all the really, really good writers dead?". Indeed, they are all dead, and its pretty much over. For me it all ended with Dostoyevsky... the last and greatest.
By the way, thank you for introducing this musical ignoramus to: "Apparition De L’Eglise Eternelle", as I read in one of your earliest posts. Heard a couple versions online and it was excellent. I really like dissonance... which is probably why I like Dostoyevsky.
Similarly, TH2...I've found that attempting to find a good book (by which I mean a book that is both well-written and entertaining) from the past ten years is sort of like trying to explain binary to a group of highschool freshmen. Theoretically possible, but usually unrewarding and drier than Ramesses' mummy.
Celestine at first glance I thought the last few words of you post to TH2 was talking about dry Ramen..
One would think! :) But no, I was talking about this guy --
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/RAMmummy.jpg
Ramesses II a.k.a the Great. A redheaded pharaoh who built the elaborate tomb seen a few posts below for his wife Nefertari, he was about 90 years old when he died. And now, given that he was packed with natron for a few months, lovingly has his organs preserved in the same and got his brain discarded and has been dead for 3300 years, he is quite dry.
Those Egyptians.
Dear Say the Black, Do the Red,
Wow! Is Fr. Z reading my choir blog?
<;-)
TH2,
I'm so happy you liked the Messiaen! I'm not a total fan of everything he's done, but so many of his compositions are breathtaking. And if you have a look at the titles of his organ compositions, you'll see that they are highly influenced by his Catholic faith. That's why I love French composers/organists; they're all Catholic!
Mary - I did a search on him and found out about his faith influence.
"Apparition De L’Eglise Eternelle" was the only piece by his I have had a chance to listen. Besides my recent discovery of the sounds on this blog, I often listen (as a musical dilettante) to my favourite piece of secular/prog music, especially the first three minutes, and not the studio version... this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kQNFyEI2rs
TH2,
I like that, too. David Gilmour especially has an immensely soothing voice, so I really enjoy listening to him.
Post a Comment