Tell them to "Never call her again and take me off of your list". Sometimes it takes three times for them to get it, but then you hang up in their face. Those things are recorded and it WORKS.
I have employed the "hold please" method and just left the phone sitting on the counter for a few minutes. They usually hang up and don't call back after that :)
What's worse is those phone surveys - my dad loves picking up on those, and giving the phone to the "female over 30" in the house, or the "teenager who wears blue jeans" (when we were still teens) just so he could sit there and laugh as we answered their surveys. My dad.. sheesh! :)
Ah yes...indeed they ARE doing it for a living, and someday soon maybe I'll end up doing it too. I really hope not. Regardless, if I was the telemarketer on the other end of the line that calls about seven times every day...I would be most amused to hear people start off by saying, "Oxford Sewage," "City Morgue," "Bates Motel," and "Arkham Asylum". I've wanted to try 'Cirith Ungol' and 'Barrow Downs', but unfortunately I have this sneaking suspicion that no one would get the joke...
7 comments:
I try to not be rude to them, but some will NOT take no for an answer. Annoying.
Tell them to "Never call her again and take me off of your list". Sometimes it takes three times for them to get it, but then you hang up in their face. Those things are recorded and it WORKS.
I have employed the "hold please" method and just left the phone sitting on the counter for a few minutes. They usually hang up and don't call back after that :)
What's worse is those phone surveys - my dad loves picking up on those, and giving the phone to the "female over 30" in the house, or the "teenager who wears blue jeans" (when we were still teens) just so he could sit there and laugh as we answered their surveys. My dad.. sheesh! :)
Solution(you have to me mean like TH2 for it to work).
1. Hang up immediately upon realization.
2. Say 'wait one sec please' and then immediately hang up.
3. Keep whistle by phone - blow whistle upon realization. Air horn more effective, however.
4. Pretend you cannot hear person. Say: "hellloooo hellooooo...", repeat as much as possible.
5. Start talking gibberish... continue... person likely will hang up within 7-8 seconds.
6. Upon realization, star singing opening song of The Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon".
"Breathe... breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care."
That'll really freak'em out... and TH2 just freaked himself out by coming up with that one.
You guys are a riot!
(Side Note: TH2 amuses Mary by always referring to himself in the 3rd person. Four of Seven also does that. Must be a Genius thing.)
I'm too doggone polite because I know those people are doing this for a living, poor things.
My best story is when my father-in-law started speaking in Czech to a persistent telemarketer. I don't believe the TM called back.
Thanks, Mary... but there is disagreement here. TH2 speaks in 3rd person because his personality is analogous to that of a telephone pole :o
Hope your sister is recovering well.
Ah yes...indeed they ARE doing it for a living, and someday soon maybe I'll end up doing it too. I really hope not. Regardless, if I was the telemarketer on the other end of the line that calls about seven times every day...I would be most amused to hear people start off by saying, "Oxford Sewage," "City Morgue," "Bates Motel," and "Arkham Asylum". I've wanted to try 'Cirith Ungol' and 'Barrow Downs', but unfortunately I have this sneaking suspicion that no one would get the joke...
Post a Comment